Sunday 4 May 2008

In Retrospect


So often, it takes some huge event, a catastrophe, or something coming to an end to make us look back and see what we have come through. For me, that was graduating from the PTA program and college yesterday. The last year and a half has been one of the craziest. It started by moving to Nashville, TN-starting a brand new school, church, friends, and way of life. And when I say way of life, I mean one that consisted of only studying. "Going out" only happened by some crazy chance that we didn't need all 72 hours of the weekend for studying for the next Monday and typically only happened after several hours of studying together that night. It quickly became apparent that none of us had any desire to stay out late-classes and studying had worn us out by that point haha.


When starting PTA school we were told our lives would consist of studying and going to class. None of us believed it. We quickly found out how true it was, and how we truly needed to trust and depend on each other if we were going to make it out of this program alive and passing. Physical therapy is just that-physical. And we had to quickly acclimate ourselves in "using" each other as patients-in whatever form that may need to take. We had numerous awkward moments and even more laugh togethers.


We also had a lot of tough stuff we went through this last year that we helped each other get through. Our families and friends had to take the back burner and second place for us. We were each other's life. One of the speeches yesterday summarized what we dealt with this last year well, "Marriages-and the strain that was placed on them, car accidents, breakups, pregnancy, surgery, crying because of a failed test, not understanding passive and active insuffiency, and everything in between." Our program director had the 'significant others' stand and thanked them for giving everyone up this last year and for also taking everyone back now. Even though we aren't the same as when we started over a year ago. We have depended on each other for a lot, and its sad to see that its all ending now.


I am back in Columbia now, and don't even know what to think. Every other time I would come I had a date in my head I could count down to until I could go back up to everyone in Nashville. Not this time. This time, I have to stay for a while. Work is going to start, and keep me busy. I will be FINALLY practicing as a licensed PTA, a healthcare professional. I will have these precious babies to pour my heart into during my mornings. But I just have no idea who is going to fill the huge void of everyone I had to leave this morning.

No comments: